Gethin’s 12 Week Fitness Transformation: Everyman to Olympian
Read Time: 4min SpeedRead: 1min
We all love secrets, and we all have them. Crazy secrets, surprising secrets, useful secrets… but at some point we just can’t hold it in any longer. I’ve reached that point, and I’m going to spill the beans.
Imagine how you would feel about yourself, walking into a room full of important people, knowing that you’re in the best shape of your life.
I just walked home from training with my shirt off, dripping with sweat when I passed an elderly gentleman leaving his condo. He looks up at me and in a surprised voice proclaims,
“You look like one of those boys competing in the Olympics!”
“Olympian?” … I can work with that!
If that’s not a win at the end of a long hard day, I don’t know what is.
Do you want to achieve a physique that gets you called an Olympian, in 84 days?
In this post, I’m going to show you how to:
- Lose FAT while gaining MUSCLE (Yes, it’s possible).
- Make the most delicious, healthy shake to ever grace your tastebuds.
- Go from obese to 4-pack abs to 6-pack abs.
- Avoid things that don’t matter.
I didn’t always feel like I was at my physical, emotional, and mental best.
Back in March, I hit a very serious case of misfortune. Two days before my birthday, and 2.5 years (to the day) after we started dating, my then girlfriend decided to call it quits, never to be seen since. As if that wasn’t bad enough, my Mom calls me an hour later sobbing and breaks the news that my dog and best friend, Lucky, who’d I grown up with my entire childhood, had died.
Talk about emotional TNT. I gave myself the day to be sad as hell and just sulked. Waking up the next morning from that kind of thing makes you re-assess your reality and who you are. I’d always talked about getting in the best shape of my life but never put my full effort into it. But now was different.
During a time when I just got my ass kicked by one of life’s temper tantrums, I needed to assert myself over reality. I wasn’t going to sit there at effect and drown. I made a promise to myself to come out better.
The vehicle of that transformation came from a website, Bodybuilding.com, that a Hulk-turned-charismatic calculus professor revealed to me a few semesters ago. There I found my guide, trainer and enlightenment.
Enter Kris Gethin
The biggest problem any workout program faces is coherance. How do you get people to stick with your program, day after day, long enough for people to see incredible results?
Kris Gethin has solved this by doing everything for you. All you have to do, is wake up and watch a no nonsense video every day. Kris is your trainer AND your training partner. You see him start out exactly where you are, out of shape and untoned, then transform to become super fit, day by day just as you do.
Kris’s method is varies and changes depending on how far into the program you are, but here’s a few bulletpoints:
- Expect to spend 2 hours in the gym 4-5 days a week. This includes weight lifting and 20-50min of cardio you’ll be doing every day 7 days a week.
- Expect to only eat a small amount of healthy carbs in the first half of the day.
- Expect to eat much more frequently- this combined with the above will get you a 4 pack.
- Expect to be baffled by the fact that you can still see your abs when you’re sitting down, hunched over, for the first time in your life.
I went from 144lbs to 156lbs.
Skips and Tips
More than expand on what’s good about the program (I’d be here all day) I’m going to tell you what I skipped/added and you can make a judgement for yourself when the time comes.
Instead of doing 20-25 min of cardio twice a day, I only did 20-25min intensely at the end of the day after my workouts.
I took none of the supplements he listed, only using Gold Standard Protein Powder (used in the heaven-sent shake I’ll tell you about in a moment).
I added 20 side raises on each side with 50lbs in addition to the 150 twists he incorporates twice a day.
- I uncovered that the “Fat Burning Zone” is a crock. Click here for the explanation.
- When trying to go from a 4-pack to a 6-pack, Tim Ferriss’ “Cat Vomit” exercise REALLY works, no vomit involved.
- Don’t skip ahead watching vids, it’s demotivating. Wake up, watch and read the day’s workout then do it. Sometimes I would go one day ahead and read the text only, but I always saved something to look at the day after to keep my head in the game.
The Last Shake You’ll Ever Make
“What is with this shake you keep drooling over, and is it true that if you drink it enough you will live forever?“
I don’t know about the last part, but since you asked I’ll just have to find out and get back to you.
- -7 cubes (exactly) of ice
- - 1 scoop of Double Chocolate Gold Standard Protein Powder
- - 5 or 6 good shakes of cinnamon
- - 1 sliced up banana
- - 3-4 generous tablespoon scoops of natural creamy peanut butter
- - followed by milk filled up to the top, to where you can see the other ingredients barely breaking the surface.
Mix a little longer than usual and pour pure perfection out into a giant cup capable of holding it for the short duration it won’t be in your stomach.
On days that were tough, I can honestly say this shake single handedly kept me going. If I didn’t work my ass off- no shake. I had to earn it- and earn it I did.
Whenever the next Monday is for you, I want you to plan on starting that day. If you’re reading this on a Monday night, start next Monday. Start mentally preparing yourself to make a change.
Put it in your schedule. Eat a little bit of cake, because you won’t be having any for 3 months. Take some before pictures (I promise, you’ll want them when this is over). If you need any help at any time- before, during and after the transformation, please comment below and I’d be humbled to help. Above all else, know that the time is now. Just do it- because tomorrow means never.
Breaking News and Loose Ends
Not only have I achieved a level of fitness I can be proud of, this summer I finally paid off college, with two years left, and will graduate debt free.
In the next post, I’ll go over the best summer jobs for college students to rake in cash, complete with weeks of data. I’ll do the math and heavy lifting for you- all you have to do is show up.
See you then,
Posted on August 13th, 2012